Dear Friends of Tilikum,
So far we have raised about $17,000 for the Big Canoes Project. Since we are getting very close to spending the funds, Carl Anderson and I have been talking a lot about the plans for the big canoes and we have decided that we should purchase the canoes rather than build them. Even though we had plans and forms to build the wooden canoes, the risk of boat building errors and the ensuing maintenance issues could be problematic. It’s important to make the best decision with the information available at the time, even if you need to change directions.
A year ago I did some research and found this company as a back-up plan to building the canoes. Clipper Canoes is a business in Abbotsford, BC that makes big canoes. http://www.clippercanoes.com/langley/
On September 19th we purchased two Langley canoes and a special two-canoe trailer. The project total has gone from $15,000 to $20,000 and the key reasons for this change are:
- The maintenance would be minimal on these fiberglass/Kevlar canoes.
- It releases staff and volunteer labor hours for other projects around Tilikum.
- The manufacturer confirmed the canoes would navigate well on a lake the size of Tilikum.
- The two-canoe trailer makes moving, launching and winter storage quite simple.
- We might take select groups down the Willamette river. I likely wouldn’t have considered this with wooden canoes.
We have $3,000 left to raise for the new canoe dock and accessories. If you have any questions about this please feel free to contact me at the office (503) 538-2763 ext. 103 or my cell (503) 538-8081.